Children's Activities in the Garden
Story Time will be held for children pre-school through second grade 10 AM every Thursday in June, July, and August in the Out Door Classroom just behind the statue of Carl Linnaeus.
We also schedule an evening event once in both the spring and the fall we call Story Time under the Stars beginning at 6:30 to accommodate families whose schedules don't permit attending during the day. It's a wonderful opportunity to see how beautiful the garden is as the sun goes down.
Picture books with garden themes will be read followed by an activity in the Linnaeus Garden.
Story Time is free to the public.
Under the Stars, 6:30PM::
- May 07: Flowers, birds and bees
- October 15: Pumpkins, night creatures, and the moon
Thursday Mornings, 10AM:
- June 04: Weather/Rain
- June 11: Worms/Compost/Soil
- June 18: Ladybugs/Insects
- June 25: Butterflies/Moths
- July 02 Colors/Shapes/Numbers
- July 09 Ponds/Fish/Frogs
- July 16 Vegetables/Fruits
- July 23 Five Senses
- July 30 Trees/Leaves
- August 06 Creatures in the Garden
- August 13 Art in the Garden
- August 20 Sunflowers
- August 27 Scarecrows
Little Green Thumbs is a program for children ages 6-12 designed to give them hands-on, in-depth learning experiences to introduce them to the world of gardening.
Classes are held on the last Saturday of each month, May through August, from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM. They are taught by trained Linnaeus Gardeners. Participants should meet the program teachers at the east door of the Tulsa Garden Center.
Pre-registration is required so we can have the correct materials needed for that day’s projects. Fees for the program are: $50 for the whole series for members of the Tulsa Garden Center, $60 for the whole series for non-members, $18 for a single class. To register, please call Toni at 918-746-5125.
Classes and topics for 2015:
- May 30 Preparing to Grow Your Garden
- June 27 Friendly Residents of Your Garden
- July 25 Art in the Garden
- August 29 An Incredible Edible Harvest Party
On the two potting tables on the east wall in the Linnaeus Garden Visitors' Barn you will discover various garden activities to share with children.
Featured on the north table are hands-on items that we think will be of interest to children of all ages.
On the south table is a themed display that changes at the beginning of each month with activities for children to do at the garden as well as a take-home project.
Between the two tables is a display bookshelf with a collection of children's picture books related to gardening and nature. We invite visitors with children to borrow books from this shelf to take out into the garden to read for their own personal story time.
Each month a topic related to gardening is explored and accompanied by follow-up activities.
Laminated activity sheets encourage you and your child to:
- LOOK! Decide on garden to learn about: Entry, Boulder, Water, Greenhouse, Vegetable, Herb or Fountain
- EXPLORE! take the laminated sheet outside to the chosen garden.
- DISCOVER! Complete the suggested activities.
- AT HOME! Consider doing the home project; return the laminated sheet to the basket.
Linnaeus Garden Volunteers love to show off our garden. We are available to give tours to classes from public and private schools, homeschool groups, scouts, and other children's groups.
If you are interested in arranging a tour for your Children’s group, contact our Volunteer Coordinator on 918-746-5136 or 918-746-5125 at the Tulsa Garden Center. She will arrange a tour guide and time for your group.